Monday, October 18, 2010

Rand Paul's college group mocked Christians


Rand Paul's college group mocked Christians


    Rand Paul is shown. | AP Photo
    Rand Paul was involved in a secret society in college that often made fun of Christianity. | AP PhotoClose




    As for the newsletter, "In the 1970s, its format and content changed, carrying more topical and controversial, stories," according to another Baylor Magazine account, to which a university spokeswoman referred POLITICO. That official history avoids detailing the group's irreligious tendencies, but they were front and center in Paul's time, and the newsletters offer the context for the strange, high-profile campaign flap. At a Christian school, the group focused explicitly and repeatedly on religious targets; the Aqua Buddha was just one jab in that direction.
    One typical article, headed "Fishy Bibles," revealed that one Clement Updike, 83, of Victor, Calif., was in fact that author of the bible.

    "I wrote the thing as a lark," Updike says. "I had just read Faulkner's "Intruder in the Dust" where I found the moniker Joe Christmas. I liked the name,but I'm no plagiarist. So, I took part of it and added the name of a friend, Mr. Jesus Gonzales ... For years I ignored the argument between evolution and creationism until I realized this creationism stuff was from my book."
    "I guess it's time I cleared this up. I don't know what all the fuss is about; I mean I'm no Tolkien," the scribe concludes.
    The group made particular targets of the conservative religious leaders of the era. One NoZe article titled "Rapture!!! Still Here?", reported that Jerry Falwell, Anita Bryant and other leaders had missed out on salvation.
    One parody was titled: "I was a teenage savior."
    "My new father is so stupid, he doesn't have the foggiest idea that Mom's been seeing the Holy Spirit behind his back," the authors wrote.
    By 1983, Paul was being featured, a giant false nose on his face, on the cover of "The Rope." He left Baylor the next year for medical school, though he didn't graduate.
    "I don't remember him participating much in writing," Green said. "It's too bad. He was funny enough."


    Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43495_Page2.html#ixzz12ihhzk61

    No comments:

    Post a Comment